Guitar Repair Shop 13 Point Setup Checklist
Guitar setups are mainly focused on playability and general maintenance. Unless specified by the customer, the goal is low action with little or no buzzing.
At NoVA Guitar Setups, I perform setups by taking measurements, restoring the guitar to the proper measurements and then making final adjustments based on feel.
1. Truss rod adjustment to provide the proper amount of relief in the neck. (.010 mm measured at the 8th and 9th fret)(.012 for basses)
2. Bridge height adjustment to adjust the string height at the 12th (acoustics) and 17th (electrics and basses.)
4. Rotate volume & tone pots. Deoxit if scratchy, tighten if loose, note any recommendations for the owner.
5. Clean & polish the frets.
6. Clean the fretboard & oil (Rosewood, Pau Ferro and Ebony.)
7. Change strings and tune. Lubricate nut.
8. Tighten loose tuning machines and torque if necessary.
9. Tighten any loose screws on the body.
10. Check and adjust the pickup height.
11. Set and adjust the intonation.
12. Clean the guitar.
13. Play the guitar and check for buzzing, playability, overall feel.
"Eric got both of my guitars playing better than they ever have. He’s easy to work with, great communication, incredibly fast turnaround, super affordable and above all top notch work!!!"
"Eric, I just wanted to thank you for your work and expertise. My PRS had an issue that I could not track down, but you were able to apply your wealth of knowledge and root out the offending issues. After she settled in, she was bending and sustaining just like I knew she could and whatever you did to the action seemed to work as well. I didn’t know a guitar could play this effortlessly and sound this harmonically rich! "